Friday 30 December 2011

Just another sing song.

Singing, singing, singing.

For 12 years, singing has had sone sort of part of my life. I have no idea what interested me into singing. None whatsoever.
It might be my mum making me sing at people walking in the air when I was five?!? Or knowing every single word of the spice girls. Possibly even my primary school teacher making me sing over the rainbow when I was 7?

But something made me want to do it.

Luckily enough my local church opened it's choir to girls, and I went. Simple as that. Weirdly, I got the whole choral singing voice, the whole chorister sound. I don't even know how that happened?? I just got it. I remember being 9 thinking, 'god this is easy!' I could just do it and sing the songs and the hymns and get them right?

So secondary school came along and really didn't tell anyone about singing, didn't feel I had to. Until, year 9 in my first class with a different music teacher, 'now, I'll go down the register and you need to tell me what you play and anything musical you do in or outside of school.' shit, I thought oh great got to tell them i sing.

'Hope Marie Mcnulty.' Shit this is it.

'yes, I have guitar lessons in school, play in the light music group, oh and I'm head chorister of my church choir.'
Phew. I don't think I've ever spoken so fast in my life. I just hid behind the keyboard.
'what the fuck?? You do opera! Haha! Gutted' was the best reaction I received wonderful!

After that school got more musical for me and no longer about sport. I played in the netball team, hockey team and rounders team, and played football then too. But music kind of gave me something to do without being overly competitive.

So I had to join the senior choir (yawn) and got allowed to join the chamber choir without having to audition haha. Wonderful! Singing songs that I'd already done for years in church and were quite easy.

But then the solos came along. Fml. Three kings, once in royal, and if I get asked to sing the lords my shepherd one more time, I'll commit! Okay, I have won about 7 trophies and placed over 30 times with that song but come on. That's just too many times!!

Then 6th form, ok, duetting with my friend zoya at prize giving was good but now I was doing something musical everyday senior choir, orchestra, light music, chamber choir, and jazz band on a Friday. Plus teaching myself to pass grade 5 theory. Musiced out! Then second year saw me starting my singing lessons jumping in at grade 6!

So I left school being cheated out of a higher grade in music as I was told my performances were given a disgraceful U, so I left school feeling pretty shit, after I decided history wasn't for me and focused on my music for it to be thrown back in my face. Well, I threw myself into my summer show.

And I had a new job! Haha! Woo! Fab! Little shits that's all I'm saying! Well.

Got my grade 8 and had to do my auditions! Woo!

And I ended up in Leeds College of Music after a lot of debate.

And I'm back for christmas singing. And had to save my old church choir when only two trebles turned up and I had to just sing 'properly' grrr....

Well. I've spoken too much!

Love Hope Mc x

No comments:

Post a Comment